2014 STIHL MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS®
Call for Price
Our legendary #1 selling chain saw. Every farm needs a STIHL FARM BOSS®.
The MS 290 FARM BOSS® is a very familiar tool around most farms. And a big reason for that popularity is how it has been engineered with well-thought-out features. It features an optimal power-to-weight ratio, so you’ll be ready for any job. The MS 290 also features an anti-vibration system for enhanced user comfort for those long work days on the farm. Like your favorite truck, the FARM BOSS® is an irreplaceable partner.
- STIHL Quickstop®: STIHL chain saws are equipped with a chain stopping system designed to reduce the risk of injury in certain kickback situations. It is called a STIHL Quickstop® chain brake. The STIHL Quickstop® chain brake is designed to stop the rotation of the chain if activated by the operator’s hand or by inertia if the saw kicks back with sufficient force. In some working positions, the STIHL Quickstop® chain brake can be activated by inertia, stopping the chain within fractions of a second.
- Anti-Vibration System: STIHL has developed a system for minimizing the vibration levels of handheld outdoor power equipment. The STIHL anti-vibration system helps reduce operator fatigue and provides a more comfortable working experience.
- IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor: The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor is designed to automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio when the air filter becomes restricted or partially clogged and maintains the engine’s correct RPM. IntelliCarb™ uses air from the clean side of the air filter to control the diaphragm and flow of fuel. As the air filter becomes dirty and less air is available for the carburetor, the IntelliCarb™ system adjusts the fuel flow to compensate for the decrease in air flow. This is in contrast to typical carburetors that utilize this air from the “dirty” side of the air box.
- Ematic™ Lubrication System: The Ematic™ guide bar when used with STIHL OILOMATIC® saw chain will provide proper lubrication and less oil consumption than conventional methods. The system works because two ramps, strategically placed in the guide bar rail, help contain the flow of oil and direct all lubrication to the sliding faces of the bar and chain links as well as the rivets and driver holes, which in turn can reduce bar oil consumption up to 50%.
- Side-Access Chain Tensioner: The side-access chain tensioner makes it much more convenient for the user to adjust the saw chain with a bar wrench as opposed to the typical location of the guide bar adjustment screw.
- Master Control Lever™: The Master Control Lever™ is an easy to use single lever, operating the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch. The operator must pull the throttle trigger before moving the Master Control Lever™ to the choke position.
- Displacement: 56.5 cc (3.45 cu. in.)
- Engine Power: 2.8 kW (3.8 bhp)
- Powerhead Weight: 5.9 kg (13.0 lb.)
- Guide Bar Lengths (Recommended ranges): 40 to 50 cm (16 in. to 20 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 560 cc (18.9 oz.)
- Chain Oil Capacity: 330 cc (11.2 oz.)
- OILOMATIC® Chain: .325 in. RM3
- 56.5 cc (3.45 cu. in.)
- Horse Power
- 3.8 bhp (2.8 kW)
- Powerhead: 13.0 lb. (5.9 kg)
- Bar Length Options
- 16 in. to 20 in. (40 to 50 cm)